I have been a little behind on my blogging as my family and I finally got to go away on vacation for a little while. Although I have been on vacation I have not forgotten about #MonthlyMileClub and am still working towards my goal of […]
Tips, tutorials, recipes, and reviews from one mom to another
Over the weekend we had the opportunity to go visit some family and have some new adventures. In the town that we visited there was an arboretum that had seriously amazing things to check out. This picture is of a planter of succulents that was turned into a kaleidoscope. It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. The planter was set to spin around while there were four kaleidoscopes fixed on the outside that people could look through as you spun the planter around. As a kid I remember thinking that kaleidoscopes were really cool but I really appreciated how this one was using something found in nature and that you could reach out and touch. My toddler was a little to young to understand the concept but the rest of us couldn’t take our eyes off of it.
Thanks for stopping by! I’ll see you next Sunday.
Some of you may have noticed that I had taken a little break from writing lately. This is mostly because I needed some down time but also because I have decided to start a club to help people be more active. After writing my post “Adventures of a mom with a fitness tracker” I started to really think back to my experience with the corporate wellness challenge I participated in. Since I became a mom this was what had motivated me the most to stay active and work hard to reaching fitness goal. Having so many people I worked with being supportive and being able to set my own goal really helped. I also thought it was really easy to keep track of since you could sync it up to your fitness tracker.
While I was thinking about this all the sudden it hit me. I could probably find a way to do this on a smaller scale involving my blog.
That’s when I started to google search all kinds of things about starting a fitness challenge and after several hours searching I found this website Challenge Runner which allows people to start a community challenge and set their own goals. It also allows you to use many different tracking devices to upload your walking data so anyone can join.
I’ve decided to call the challenge #MonthlyMileClub by clicking on the link you can register for the challenge that will start on July 1st. You should be able to register, set your own goal, and sync the challenge to a fitness tracker. You can also manually enter your miles in as well.
This challenge will run for the Month of July as a test run. I am inviting anyone and everyone to join and if it works out will hopefully make it a monthly challenge. My hope is that if I get enough people to sign up and participate that we might eventually be able to have some giveaways for those who reach the most miles. I am learning how to make badges and will be creating ones for those who make it on to the top of the leader board.
I hope that people will join and just try to have some fun with it. This is not meant to be a super serious fitness challenge but just an attempt to improve ones wellness and help motivate people to be more active and aware of their daily activity level.
Below is the badge I created for the challenge and I encourage those who participate to use this badge if you blog about your experience. It’s my first attempt at a badge so feel free to offer any advice on how to make it better.
Hope to see you all participate! Much love to you all.
You can also find my linked up with the #LetsGetReal linky party
Last week I missed the #MySundayPhoto linky because of the time difference but I have decided to start joining this linky. This Sunday I am sharing another photo from our urban garden at work. I’ve been really excited about harvesting because I love squash and […]
It’s June and the weather has started to perk up and finally feels like summer has arrived. For me summer means not working so late and more time to spend out in the sunshine with my family; wearing lots of sunscreen (My boy is a read head). We have a lot of things on our agenda this summer with weddings, birthdays, and family events so I wanted to come up with a bucket list of things to do with my little family. It can be so easy to get caught up in all of the big things and forget all of the little things you want to do.
So this summer I really want to:
1. Take my toddler to the splash park- Last year we only went once (not sure why) and he absolutely loved it. And to my surprise was so well behaved with the other children. Not gonna lie I was afraid my toddler might try taking other’s toys or be a little scared.
2. Be more active in our back yard vegetable garden- My husband planted a garden last year but I was afraid to help out because I had no idea what I was doing. Now that I have more knowledge I want to be more involved. I’m so excited to cook with fresh zucchini, squash, green beans, and peas.
3.Keep my flowers alive- I’m am not known for a green thumb with flowers. Last year all of mine were dead in about three weeks. To be honest I always forget to water them. However, this year I’m trying to make it more of a routine and sharing the responsibility with my husband.
4. Go on more walks- I know this sounds lame but there is a walkway near my office that goes along the local weather and is a beautiful place to walk. I think it would help me clear my head during a long day to take 20 minutes and go for a walk.
5. Make my own popsicle’s- I have seen so many recipes for making your own popsicle’s on Pinterest that I just have to try it. You will probably see it on a post about Pinterest epic fails later on. But who knows maybe it will actually work out. Let’s be real; the ones with wine sound enticing.
6. Use our grill more often- Dinner’s are so much easier when you marinate some meat (love grilled chicken) and throw it on the grill; maybe with vegetables. Last year it rained so much we didn’t get a lot of opportunities.
7. Take a walk on the beach with my family- My side of our family is taking a big family beach vacation this summer. And while I know it will be a blast I want to make sure to remember to take some time to do simple things with my son and husband.
8. Build a sand castle- Now that my son is a toddler I am so excited to play in the sand at the beach this year. I’m hoping he will have the attention span to help me build a castle (hmm…I mean knock it down) with me. Maybe I’ll even get him to help gather sea shells (I know I’m dreaming ok).
9. Get the sprinkler out- My mom bought my son a sprinkler last summer but we never really got around to bringing it outside and playing with it. Now that he likes playing in the grass more I’m hoping to take it for a spin.
10. Finish a book- It has been forever since I have taken the time to actually finish a book. However this summer I am hoping to take that time. I love to read and used to be an avid reader before grad school and life got in the way. I have 6 books sitting on my book shelf that I really want to read so here’s hoping. Maybe I’ll have some time at the beach since there will be many people to help keep an eye on our toddler.
There is my list. Nothing fancy. Just hoping to spend some time enjoying the little things as I think that is really where you can find happiness. Wanting to make lots of long remembered memories with my little family of 3.
Do you have a bucket list? What are things you want to do this summer. For yourself or for your family? Share in the comments section.
I have been seeing many of my fellow bloggers share their #MySundayPhoto and this weekend was intrigued enough to check it out. So I decided to start joining in on this weekly linky starting today. As many of you may already know from seeing my Twitter, Facebook, […]